World’s Fair Food Festival

Several members of LYC ran a trip aboard Pat and Tricia Kenny’s “Touch of Grey” this past Sunday to the New York Worlds Fare International Food Festival. Now in its second year, The World’s Fare is a grand celebration of equality and the diversity of New York City paying homage to the great Fair of 1964. Over 100 vendors from over 100 cultures came together to unite through authentic food, drink and music curated by New York City’s leading taste makers.

Touch of Grey left LLM shortly after 11am and arrived to the Worlds Fare Marina about 40 minutes later. The spectacular weather made for an easy trip up the East River through Hells Gate past Riker’s Island and into the Flushing Bay. The Festival was a short walk were they found over 100 food vendors, a beer pavilion, and lots of live music. The return trip was just as exciting offering lots of New York City sites.

Thank you Patrick for organizing this wonderful trip. LYC is actively looking for more ideas from our members on simple excursions such as this. If you have any cruising plans this year – whether a short day trip or week long adventure – and are looking for some company, please drop us a line at info@libertyyachtclub.org.

L-R Tricia, Patrick, Mark, Tali, & Chris

Spring Vendor’s Event

On Saturday, Mother’s Day Weekend, Liberty Landing Marina held its annual vendor’s event. A beautiful day brought out many to check out the latest in new nautical gear and services and enjoy a variety of vendor truck food and wine tasting.

LYC also had its “clubhouse” set up at the event with officers Steve Crane (Secretary) and Kim McIntyre (Port Captain) keeping watch. New and returning members stopped by to say hello and learn about the club’s upcoming season. Also featured were the new club shirts with embroidered logo on the front. Shirts will be available to all club members soon, so keep an eye out for ordering instructions.

Racing Rules Trivia Night

With racing season near, LYC’s Racing Rules Trivia Night presented sailors challenging situations in the Lightship Classroom on April 24th. The event drew more than 30 sailors, mostly from the Wednesday night PHRF racing fleet. As the virtual PRO (Principal Race Officer) LYC member Henrik Pederson presented 25 questions with diagrams to various teams, testing their knowledge of sailboat racing rules. Questions varied in difficulty from naming the preparatory signal flag to naming the appropriate rules for obscure situations at the starting line. In a pub style atmosphere food and beverage were provided as well. Congratulations to Nitzan Levy and Team Sailors NYC for getting the most correct answers! Its always comforting to know that someone knows the rules out on the water!

Nitzan Levy and Team Sailors NYC enjoying their victory!

LV 107 “The Lightship”

The Lightship at Liberty Yacht Club…

The Lightship LV 107/WAL 529 was built in Bath Iron Works of Bath, ME in 1923, and its first station was Cape Lookout Shoals, NC where it served from 1924 to 1933, when the station was discontinued and replaced with the Cape Lookout Bell Buoy.

The Lightship’s next assignment was at Winter Quarter Shoal, VA, located several miles offshore from  Assateague Island. The station’s interesting name was derived from a location on Assateague Island called “Winter Quarters” The Lightship served to mark the northern approach to Chesapeake Bay in addition to obviously warning mariners of the shoal.

A hurricane struck the station on September 17 and 18 of 1936. The powerful storm drug the vessel and its bulbous mushroom anchor off station, stove in a section on the ship’s starboard side, broke loose generators and storage batteries from their mountings, and demolished the vessel’s motor boat. Still, the lightship was able to regain its station and resume service on September 19.

The story is told of how one lightship while riding out a hurricane at Winter Quarter in large and deep seas actually tossed a loop in its anchor chain and passed through the loop forming an overhand knot. The lightship was then unable to weigh anchor and had to slop the anchor chain – at least this is the story that the commanding office told for how an overhand knot ended up in the anchor chain.

Starting in 1942, LV 107 was pulled from its station and used as an examination vessel during the remainder of World War II. The lightship returned to Winter Quarter Shoal following the war and remained there through 1960 when it was replaced by a lighted bell buoy.

LV 107’s next station was at the newly created Delaware station, southeast of the entrance to Delaware Bay and seventeen miles from the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. The Lightship served at this station for five years, before being assigned as a relief lightship out of Cape May in 1965. Gary Day was Commanding Officer of the lightship from 1967 until her decommissioning in 1968. During his eighteen months at the helm, the vessel served as relief at the Ambrose, Barnegat, Five Fathom, and Delaware stations. According to Day, “Delaware was the worst, flies would eat you alive in summer. At chow time we covered all the food with clean rags and sprayed BUG-A_BYE in the air vents to get rid of them. During the calm weather we rolled a lot because the current from the Delaware River would hold us broadside to the swells. Finally, we figured out how to moor by securing a mooring line to the anchor chain by use of a pelican hook. We could then secure the mooring line to a bit amidships and we would stem the swells. It made for a much more comfortable ride”.

After the lightship was decommissioned, Commander Day spotted her at Newport News. He recalls, “Someone had painted a white and blue stripd around the hull at deck level. People there did not like it when I told them they should not have done it, but it may have been the way I put it to them.” LV 107 has her proper colors back now, and is a good place to eat a burger admiring the Manhattan Skyline.

Lightships were typically painted red with their station’s name emblazoned in large, white block letters on both of her sides. LV 107/WAL 529 still complies with this standard. Its current markings “Liberty Landing Marina” do accurately describe its latest location, though the marina was obviously never an official lightship station.

Lightship

After the LV 107 was decommissioned in 1968, it was relocated to Hampton, VA to be used as a museum. This venture must not have lasted too long, as by 1984 the lightship was at North American Metals ship-breakers yard in Bordentown, NJ. Fortunately, the Lightship was rescued by its present owners and relocated to Liberty Landing Marina, where it first operated as a Bar & Grill and then the marina’s offices. It also provides deck space for Liberty Yacht Club’s social activities and interior space for educational events.

Specifications:

Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, ME (1923)

Length: 132’-4”

Beam: 30’-0”

Draft: 14’-7”

Displacement: 775 Tons

Illumination apparatus: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

Propulsion: Steam – compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 20 oil fired Scotch marine boilers 120psi; 4 bladed propeller; maximum speed 9 knots

Fog Signal: 12” steam chime whistle, submarine bell, hand operated bell

Station Assignments

1924 – 1933: Cape Lookout Shoals (NC)

1934-1942: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)

1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII

1945-1960: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)

1960-1965: Delaware (DE)

1965-1968: Relief Third District (Based at Cape May, NJ)

References:

  1. Coast Guard Lightship index website
  2. U.S. Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association website

Clipper Round the World Race

The Clipper Round the World Race was started in 1995 by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston who became the first person to sail single-handed non-stop around the world in 1969. Today, it is the longest sailing race totaling over 40,000 miles as it circumnavigates the globe across some of the world’s toughest oceans. The race is divided into eight legs with crews being able to race completely around the world, or on one leg or several. Based on the original tea clippers which ruled the oceans 150 years ago, the race starts in England, crosses the Atlantic Ocean to South America, heads eastward around the tip of Africa and eventually finishes back in England roughly a year later.

This week, the boats are back at Liberty Landing Marina and in North Cove in Manhattan. It’s a great opportunity to come down and see the boats and find out more about this epic race that is open to all.